Spaghetti squash with mushroom cream sauce

My goal of one post per week was set slightly too high guys, as I missed my Vegan MoFo post last week. Laughably ridiculous, I own up to this. Thus, I’m combining two food fears into one post this week: white mushrooms and spaghetti squash.

Prior to this weekend I’d never experienced spaghetti squash, either by cooking or dining out. Last year was the year of conquering cooking squash, but there are a lot of squashes out there! I tapped the surface in 2011, but I will try them all in time.

My co-workers and the Internet love to sing praises of spaghetti squash. Some pro arguments I’d heard:

1) It’s really easy to make, hard to screw up (great news for me)
2) It’s a nice substitute for heavy pastas
3) It’s versatile
4) It’s delicious

All good things that made me feel better about attacking this gourd.

Mushrooms and I, we have a history.

They’ve always been one of those “I’ve hated these since I was little!” types of foods, (except fancy ones. I love me some Shiitake and portobello mushrooms and yes, I realize how weird this is). If they were covered in cheesy pizza or well-hidden in something, I didn’t mind them much. But whenever I bit into the rubbery, odd texture of one, I immediately gagged. I thought them to be flavorless, awkward and not worthy of my attention.

Then last month I was reading Eat to Live and thought that I should give mushrooms another try as, you know, I’m an adult. And I like trying “new” things now. We slowly worked them into our lives in the forms of salad toppers. And I didn’t hate it! I realized that their flavor/textures weren’t that weird, and I’ve enjoyed them. But I still hadn’t cooked them.

So I set out to find a recipe that integrated both of these ingredients into something delicious.

Most spaghetti squash recipes that I found were of the ‘add red sauce (replicating actual spaghetti) and be done’ sort. I didn’t want to make a different sort of spaghetti, so I searched for something hearty and creamy with mushrooms. And Daily Garnish‘s Spaghetti Squash & Vegan Mushroom Cream Sauce fit the bill perfectly. So I got to work.

I cut the squash in half and covered it in olive oil, 5 cloves of garlic, salt and pepper and roasted it an hour.

It comes out looking like this, with the tender flesh pulling away with the swipe of a fork.

Then I began work on the so-easy-it’s-silly cream sauce. First I sauteed them, and realized that it was the first time I’d smelled earthy, rich mushrooms cooking in vegan butter. I was missing out.

I changed this recipe up slightly by adding spinach towards the end, because I like a little green in my meals. I absolutely loved the result of the finished product.

I’m so glad we have leftovers.

Have you tried spaghetti squash? What’s your favorite way to prepare it?

10 Responses to “Spaghetti squash with mushroom cream sauce”

Read below or add a comment...

1. Helen says:

This looks awesome!! I have NEVER tried spaghetti squash — it’s one of the veggies I fear too, and you make it look really easy. (Mushrooms and I, on the other hand, have the sort of longstanding romance only found in poetry.) I love that you add greens to your version. Mmmm…

• Dawn says:

It actually is quite easy! I highly recommend you try it this season. I bet you’ll love its weird ways too. And I love your and mushrooms’ poetic romance. You may need to write a sonnet soon. ;)

And yes, greens all the time.

2. Allysia says:

Ooh, spaghetti squash! I have one sitting on my counter right now, being all emo and pouty because I’ve been neglecting it! As far as the mushroom thing goes, I always make it my mission to re-try food that I supposedly dislike – I’ve overcome most food aversions this way. Even foods that I couldn’t even stomach before (cantaloupe and honeydew, for instance) I can now tolerate (but I still don’t prefer them). And cilantro! From hate to love, that one! And I should totally do up this meal!

• Dawn says:

Ha! I love the mental image of an emo spaghetti squash. ;) And I agree: as I’ve gotten older I’ve made more of an effort to re-try foods that I hated while younger. It’s worked out so that I’ve ended up liking most things I couldn’t stand back then. I love growing up, and new-to-me food! I think you should do up this meal, you’ll love it. Thanks for reading, Allysia!

3. This looks FANTASTIC!!!

4. kittee says:

Thanks for linking to the recipe. I love spaghetti squash, but I hardly ever make it. Mushrooms are so good, I’m glad you’re giving them another chance to impress you.

xo
    kittee

• Dawn says:

Of course! I love it now too, and am also so thankful I’ve given mushrooms another shot. Well worth it. Thanks, kittee!

5. urbanvegan says:

I have tried so hard to fall in love with spaghetti squash for all the reasons you listed but it hasn’t happened yet. Your post makes me think that maybe I’ve been using the wrong sauce all along and something creamy like yours might make me change my mind.

• Dawn says:

I highly suggest trying this recipe out, Dynise. It really brought out the unique flavor of the squash and still highlighted the superbly creamy mushroom sauce. Let me know if you do!

Leave A Comment...